I found that when using Chromium to play Video it would occasionally display the titled error message inside the video viewbox of pages like YouTube and Vimeo. The video won’t play at all. Turns out this is caused by the system not having enough memory left (had too much going on). Kill some applications to retrieve ~100MB of RAM and reload the page. Then everything works fine.
The video below is the automated one provided by ZipWorld. Still fun to watch even if it is short and painfully low quality…
I’ve had annoying palm-rest squeaking on all the Thinkpads I’ve owned, usually when I rest my hands on the rests to begin typing. The creaking would continue as I increased and decreased pressure on the palm-rest whilst typing.
I only recently took my T430 apart to figure out how to stop the creaking. For me, the noise was coming from the right-hand palm-rest, directly next to the fingerprint sensor and above where the smartcard reader blanking piece sits.
There are two solutions. The first works if the creaking comes from the top palm-rest rubbing where it meets the lower half of the laptop’s body. Continue reading
Had a lovely time whilst I was away! Thought I’d post one of my favourite photos from the trip.
Had some problems with Gnome failing to start and crashing with the weird sad face image and ‘Oh no, something has gone wrong’ error. If you check the error journal with ‘journalctl | grep gnome’ you may see some errors relating to PolKit. This can be checked against specifically with ‘journalctl | grep polkit’. If PolKit is throwing errors, installing polkit-gnome again. This seemed to repair paths, dependencies or whatever and after this Gnome booted successfully.
The new Moto G has an issue where emoticons do not show in any application correctly – where they should be is a blank space. This ‘bug’ has been shipped with the phone, but it is a misconfiguration left in by the developer and is easy to fix.
Go into the stock messaging app (not hangouts) and enter the settings. Find the ‘Character Encoding’ setting and change it from ‘7 bit’ to ‘automatic’.
This configuration seems to be a system-wide settings, and all applications will now display emoticons successfully.
This post will explain how I’ve effectively created an intranet using my Digital Ocean Droplet, OpenVPN, and UFW. I’ve assumed that you’re technically capable and already have a good understand of routing, firewalls, sockets, services etc.
The first thing you’ll of course need is a server – be it a VM, Raspberry Pi, or VPS. If you do go the VPS route I recommend checking out Digital Ocean.
Once you’ve got the server you’ll need to setup and configure OpenVPN. I won’t explain how to do that as it’s a relatively long process, but the best guide is probably here on the Arch Wiki. However once you understand it, it’s easy to make configuration changes in the future. In the OpenVPN settings you’ll need to enable ‘client-to-client’ communication, specify ‘tun’ for a tunnel device type (as we want a routed IP tunnel) and at various places in the config specify the IP range you want to use. I used 10.8.0.0/16 as that is a private range and not externally routable (any gateway/border router should drop the packets). In addition I found that using TCP as opposed to UDP was a better choice for the VPN, my phone does do some random reconnects sometimes when packets get out of order, but I’ve found that when browsing the web YouTube and GIFs are far more reliable. You can switch OpenVPN to TCP by changing the proto udp directive to proto tcp.